A vegetarian dish in honor of Earth Day!
- 4 cups raw cauliflower florets
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/3 heavy whipping cream
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 6 ounces low fat pepper jack cheese
- In a microwave safe dish, combine the cauliflower, butter, cream, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Microwave on high for about 25 minutes, or until tender. (You can always start with 10 minutes, then 10 more, then 5 more if you think it is necessary. Some microwaves cook different than others. You want it soft enough to mash with a fork. The longer it stays in, the thicker the sauce gets.)
- Remove from the microwave and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Lay the slices of cheese across the top of the cauliflower.
- Microwave for another 2-3 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Serve hot.
YIELDS: 8 Servings
PER SERVING: 1 vegetable (you need 2 more), 1 healthy fat (must serve with leaner or leanest meat), 1 condiment, ¾ ounce protein